Brothel Outreach Team Coordinator
StreetLight is a ministry of International Teams Australia. Through genuine friendship, our brothel outreach teams seek to bring the hope of Jesus to people working in Sydney’s sex industry. We are currently looking for a Brothel Outreach Team Coordinator. This person will work alongside StreetLight’s Team Leader in coordinating outreach to legal brothels in the Parramatta and Holroyd areas.
The people we meet are culturally and linguistically diverse and largely unreached by the gospel. Men and women working in this industry often face rejection and abuse from general society. Many feel trapped and are hurting.
Our Brothel Outreach Team is a group of Christian volunteers from various church denominations. We passionately love Jesus and want the people we meet to know this love too.
- To manage the current team of Brothel Outreach volunteers who visit brothels in the Parramatta and Holroyd areas (the Parramatta team).
- Organise, support and mentor team members ensuring adequate member care.
- Guide and oversee all logistical aspects of Brothel Outreach for the Parramatta team, including brothel visitation and team meetings.
- Manage StreetLight’s Bakers supporting the Parramatta team, including creating and maintaining an adequate roster of volunteers to provide baked goods for visits.
- Organise and facilitate team training as needed.
- Recruitment of new members for the Parramatta team.
- Process volunteer applications and interview prospective team members for the Parramatta team
- Organise and facilitate orientation/training for new team members.
You will also assist StreetLight’s Team Leader in establishing and building a new Brothel Outreach Team in the Penrith area.
Required Criteria for Applicants.
To be our new Brothel Outreach Team Coordinator, you must:
- Be female and at least 21-years-old.
- Be an evangelical Christian in agreement with the doctrinal statement of International Teams Australia. (Read our Statement of Faith here).
- Have the support of a faith community, which is also in agreement with the doctrinal statement of International Teams Australia.
- Have a heart to share the hope of Jesus with women working in brothels, who are often marginalised and from diverse cultural and spiritual backgrounds.
- Be confident to talk with strangers – both male and female.
- Be able to motivate, equip, manage and care for a diverse group of volunteers.
- Hold a current driver’s licence and the use of a registered, insured vehicle.
- Have reliable access to a mobile phone with internet capabilities.
- Have access to the use of a computer, a basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and be confident to send and receive communication via email.
Desirable criteria for Applicants.
- A basic understanding of the sex industry in Australia and the organisations (secular and Christian) who provide support to people who work in this industry.
- A basic knowledge of trauma, trauma therapy and Dissociative Identity Disorder.
- The ability to converse in Mandarin, Korean or Thai.
Other information to consider:
As Brothel Outreach Team Coordinator, you will also participate as one of the Parramatta Brothel Outreach Team and be involved in all the activities the team undertakes. Presently, Parramatta team visits and team meetings occur on Tuesday evenings.
This role is a two-day per week voluntary position, including Tuesday night visitation and other times as negotiated with StreetLight’s Team Leader. Some administrative tasks can be done remotely, though it is expected that some of your time will be spent at the International Teams Australia Head Office in North Parramatta.
Applicants may wish to consider raising personal financial support to conduct this role. Training and support will be provided to help you do this.
Your first step is to have a chat with us. Wayne Coady, our Personnel Director, would love to do that, to hear your heart and to help you discern God’s leading in this. Fill out the Opportunity Form and Wayne will be in touch.
Take a few minutes to read the article below about the experience of two of StreetLight’s current Brothel Outreach Team volunteers to find out more about this worthwhile and purposeful ministry.
I'm interested in serving
Do you have a heart to reach men and women in Sydney’s sex industry with friendship and the hope of Jesus? Most of us find it hard to imagine the toll working in Sydney’s sex industry takes on those who experience it. Through the StreetLight ministry, volunteers in our Brothel Outreach Team meet men and […]READ MORE
Are you undaunted by the thought of driving in Sydney’s traffic? Volunteer to be a Brothel Outreach Driver for StreetLight. If you’re someone who finds Sydney’s oftentimes busy roads and congested traffic easy to negotiate, perhaps God’s gifted you to be a Brothel Outreach Driver in our StreetLight ministry. On Tuesday evenings, StreetLight volunteers travel […]READ MORE